Chromium – Benefits, Precautions and Foods to Eat
Here, let us get to know the one element which has been receiving much attention lately. It is chromium. Yes, you heard that damn right. I am talking of that trace element. Chromium has found itself a good position in the supplement world and has secured its position as a medium to lose weight effectively. Suppose you are taking carbohydrate. This carbohydrate is broken down to sugar, which is then later absorbed by the blood and finds its way into the bloodstream. The rise in blood sugar level often varies widely from one food to another. It all depends on the type of food you are taking.
Chromium however promises to keep your blood sugar level in check and controlled limits. We will now see what chromium actually does and what its other benefits are.
Naturally occurring chromium in foods
Certain foods in general contain a good amount of chromium. Some of these are as follows:
- Processed meat
- Brewer’s yeast
- Whole grains
- Kidneys and livers of pork
Thus, when you are going to the market, grab a pack of processed meat or a pack of cheese. It will definitely benefit you.
Recommended dosage of chromium: Chromium supplement capsules are marketed in 200 microgram capsules. Generally the recommended dose should not exceed 600 microgram.
Common sources of chromium:
Chromium supplements are sold in stores in several forms, some of which are chromium picolinate, chromium nictitates, high-chromium yeast and even chromium citrate.
Well, to speak of some of the best sources of chromium from foods, I can say following are the best ones:
- Brewer’s yeast
- Processed meats,
- Whole grains,
Benefits associated with chromium
Let us now get to know some of the health benefits of this wonderful substance:
- Cuts down extra blood sugar: Chromium helps a lot in maintaining proper blood sugar level. It monitors blood sugar levels, and helps stabilize soaring blood sugar.
- Aids metabolism: Chromium helps to maintain a perfect metabolism in the body by regulating the various processes.
- Reduces food cravings: If you take chromium supplement it will help to reduce your cravings for carbohydrate intake.
- Regulates cholesterol: Researches have proved that chromium helps to reduce the amount of triglyceride levels in your blood. This cuts down the total cholesterol level in the blood stream.
- Prevents hypertension: It is good news for all that this element also helps a great deal to reduce hypertension in adults, and it has been successfully proved.
Safety measure related to chromium
It needs to be mentioned here finally that, the chromium, when found in normal foods is not going to hurt you or cause you any harm. However, if you take excessive chromium in the form of chromium supplements the, it can lead to several health issues and problems some of which include severe stomach problems as well as low blood sugar, which is also called hypoglycemia. An excess of chromium from chromium supplements can also damage the liver, kidneys, and also have detrimental effects on the nervous system. What is more, it may even cause irregular heart rhythms. However, let me say that the side effects from taking chromium supplements are not so commonly reported.
However, another word of caution is that certain medicines, like antacids, which contain a good deal of calcium carbonate, interfere with the absorption of chromium in the body.
Thus, in a nutshell it can be said that there is no doubt that chromium is an extremely useful product for weight loss plan. But again, you need to use it with caution. This is because everything has a side effect when a certain limit is crossed.